Tuesday, April 8, 2014

TG Voted!

Yes, I know it is April not November. And that voting for a replacement County Board member may not ignite the enthusiasm in you that it did in me this morning. And yes, it was dreary, chilly, and early. But I exercised my rights and selected the name of the person in whom I was placing my trust, then confirmed that yes, I was sure, and then happily tapped "Finish." And I am proudly wearing my sticker (though it took about 15 tries to get it to display horizontally so pardon my picture!).


So why is voting such a big deal? Especially for a Board Member who will replace someone exiting and will only have a 7 month term?  Voting is a big deal because it is a BIG DEAL. Just a few days ago Anja Niedringhaus, an award winning photographer for AP, was murdered while covering elections in Afghanistan. Women can't vote in many places, including Saudia Arabia and Vatican City. And in many places other than Afghanistan, casting a ballot is taking a huge risk. That is why voting is a big deal.

And for me, voting is a big deal because for many years I couldn't. As a felon in the Commonwealth of Virginia I lost my right to vote when I was sentenced in 1994. In order to reclaim that right I had to pay all my fines and fees and then petition the Governor for the privilege to be reinstated. When I made my appeal our Governor was Bob McDonald and I wasn't sure if I would be pardoned. Thankfully I was and voted in my first presidential election in 2012 (for Barack Obama in case you couldn't guess). I was thrilled to participate and to be heard.

I don't know if my candidate will win today. I don't know if he will be on the Board long enough to make accomplish all he would like. I don't know much of anything beyond the here and now. But I do know I will always vote when given the chance. I will vote for those who no longer have the right and for those in countries where women aren't able to vote and I will vote for those who risk life and limb to be heard. I hope you will, too.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent Kate! You know how passionate I am about voting! I grew up in a time that even here in the U.S. people risked their lives to vote, churches were bombed, little girls died in Sunday school, men were hung, women raped, horrible things done to you just because of the color of your skin. So EVERYONE that can vote SHOULD vote! Don’t take it for granted. There are organizations and elected officials right now today that are trying to limit and even take away our rights as people of color and poor people’s right to vote…right now, serving in our U.S. Congress and state officials. Sad but true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have certainly inspired me and urged me on when I have gotten discouraged. It is a powerful thing to be able to do!

    ReplyDelete