Saturday, April 19, 2014

TG has a fan!

Thank you Sarah Berger for requesting a post - you tickled my little heart!

I haven't written in a week but have been quite busy. Unfortunately not busy saving the world or starving children or abandoned puppies, just busy having fun and engaging in lots of silliness. Though I do care very much about hungry people and lost kittens and world peace, really, and I will prioritize conquering them.

We took a vacation, just 5 days, but they were practically perfect. The boys drove go-karts and rode carnival rides, I got sunburned and a tattoo. We ate at a mediocre seafood buffet but found an excellent breakfast one. We all laughed - a lot. I caught myself wishing more than once that we could just stay as we were, our own version of "Groundhog Day," even though we obviously couldn't, for reasons other than my desire to spend every dime and dollar we had.

Somehow the return to reality made what we shared even better. Being back at work, going back to school, being responsible and grocery shopping and doing laundry allows me to savor the sun on my legs, the view of the ocean early in the morning, the sound of laughter from my boys. Being given the gift of that time with people I love was something for which I am incredibly grateful.

And it is the "people I love" part that is so important. It is with and for them that this vacation was created. It was a tangible way for me to show them they matter, they are important, they are loved. Because so often in our lives we get caught up in worrying about the war in the Central African Republic or who is going to win which next election. On a daily basis we remind our children and our partners not to forget this or that and to please do that or this. And we get reminded ourselves. And we bicker over who didn't take out the trash or who is needing too much time and attention from whom. Our day to day lives, while not always unpleasant, rarely hold pieces of sparkling joy. And those five days at the beach did just that. Sparkling, multi-faceted, joy designed to show the important people in my life that I cherish them - even on the most mundane days!



1 comment:

  1. Ok, so inquiring minds want to know if it was a henna tattoo or a real one!

    ReplyDelete