Monday, August 4, 2014

Sometimes OCD is the only control TG has

I am a snob about many things. Probably not the important things: my taste in music is rather... pedestrian, my palate is not the most evolved, and I value comfort first and foremost when dressing. But there are things about which I am quite opinionated and, ahem, vocal. Coffee needs to be good, grammar rules need to be adhered to - strictly. Manners are very important, too. And so is matching, matching is really very important. And those close to me will tell you that I am not just insistent but obnoxious about it.

One day my son was wearing jeans and a new black t-shirt. He looked very handsome. He was also wearing grey Converse and while grey normally coordinates quite nicely with both denim and black I know he owns black Vans, too. And it was a funny little itch all day long that he wasn't wearing the black shoes. I have more than one friend who teases me about her appearance stating she hoped not to disappoint me. On one occasion a friend called to ask me to bring different colored barrettes when we met to go out; she had changed her shirt and her barrettes no longer matched. She knew it would bother me. Most seriously was the morning I was having brunch with Max and a dear friend; she was wearing a sweater I had given her. But the shirt underneath was red while the sweater was pink and purple and black. No one would have know the shirt didn't match the pink parts of the sweater, it actually looked cute. But I KNEW and that itch was back. I even called my mother to tell her I knew I was being ridiculous but... I couldn't help it.

All this to say that I believe the reason for my "matchy-matchy" personality is that it makes things neat and tidy. It provides control in a slightly chaotic and disorganized (NOT unorganized!) world. It soothes me when I feel like the silver ball bouncing around a pinball machine. Coordinated clothing is happy clothing. 

When looking for a photo to add to the blog I ran across this site and was a little taken aback. I am all for individuality and creativity, but am not sure I could rally to this challenge. For those of you who can though, please share your pictures: 

And if any of you have overcome this type of OCD, please share your tips - my friends and family will thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment