Tuesday, October 6, 2015

What "thank you" can mean

Yesterday was my ten year anniversary at my job. It is the longest I have worked anywhere. Compared to many at my place of business, I am still a newbie; there are those here who have worked more than 20 years, a few more than 30. It is a good place to work and I count it as one of my blessings daily.

Something pretty special happened today though, I was able to say thank you to the woman who helped me get this job. Ten years and 3 months ago I had just been laid off and was a bit frantic. One of the first things I did was register with the Job Employment Center and Program offered by the County where I work. I met with a woman there weekly for three months. We revamped my resume for every different application I submitted. We practiced interviewing and I "checked in" with her. When I was my most discouraged she reminded me that I wasn't doing this alone and offered me encouragement. And today she walked into my office. And today she gave me a high five. And today she told me I made her day.

I hope she knows all that she made of me 10 years ago. I hope she knows that I learned from her and that I appreciate how well she balanced encouragement and "sticktoit-tiveness." She never let me wallow or feel sorry for myself but she never chastised me or treated my situation as something of my own making. She helped me better myself. And she helped me get a job I truly love. And today, today, I had the privilege of offering a belated but very heartfelt "thank you."


No comments:

Post a Comment