Friday, September 26, 2014

TG Wonders when FAT became as scary as a serial killer

I read an article yesterday about a social experiment that was conducted about online dating. A woman using Tinder posted authentic photos of her rather thin self. When she met 5 men, she was wearing make up and a body suit that made her look heavier. She was still blond and bubbly and engaging but she was FAT! And evidently the biggest fear men have about online dating is that the woman they actually meet will be fat. And if the 5 men portrayed in the short clip are a fair representation of how men react to excess weight, men in general should be very ashamed of themselves. One man excused himself to the bathroom and never returned to the table. Another apologized, because he was quite suddenly married. Only one of the men made it to the end of the date.

Let's fast forward a bit, to a man in face makeup and a body suit, who is meeting 5 women. He is also heavier than his photos with a belly so big that his shirt doesn't stay tucked into his jeans. All 5 women stay for the whole date, one kisses him goodbye and he gets second dates, too. Even when expressing surprise in his appearance not one of them was rude, insulting, or hurtful. They laugh with him, engage in conversation and flirt. Maybe that is because the greatest fear of women who use online dating sites is that the man they meet will be a serial killer. Hmmm, serial killer or fat? One seems much more dangerous than the other. Do men think woman who carry extra weight are capable of smothering them? Is that from where their fear stems? Though my snarky self is quite sure if the extra weight were presented as larger boobs or a bouncier ass they might not complain. But I digress, I should be taking that fear of fat far more seriously.

If you'd like to see the videos and read the original article, please click here. You may learn something, I certainly did. I wish it was more enlightening than reinforcing my opinion that women are the kinder, more gracious sex and that many (not ALL) men are far too attached to emaciated bodies and have no clue what they are missing by dating someone who is bright, witty, and fun but does not wear a single dress size. I have decided I am less afraid of potential serial killers than I am of shallow, narrow-minded men. Phew, I need a drink  - or an ice cream cone!

An additional note, I find this outrageous, in a most horrific way. Perhaps I shouldn't have looked for a picture to include?



No comments:

Post a Comment