Tuesday, February 25, 2014

That Girl Stands Her Ground

We all have opinions. Each of us, even if our only opinion is that we should keep to ourselves and aim to be under the radar. I am not that person. I am absolutely an "over the radar" kind of girl. And I am an opinionated one, with a soap box, and not afraid to share my views on, well, most anything. Having an opinion doesn't make me special. Being able to effect change because of my opinion? If it happens, it is special.

For the first time in my son's 12 year career as a student with a spring break in April, I am planning a trip. A real one where we go somewhere and stay in a hotel and act like tourists and indulge in things I would normally fret about being too expensive. And we wanted to go to Florida. We could feel the sun on our faces and the sand between our toes, couldn't wait to catch up with friends we miss. We were even going to - gulp - fly which I never, ever do. Not ever (see the "But I'm FAT" post for more on that).

But then Michael Dunn was not convicted of killing Jordan Davis. Even though three of the ten shots he fired into a car of young men at a well-lit convenience store hit Jordan in the back. Even though he was convicted of attempted murder of the other three young men. Even though the catalyst for this was "thug" music deemed too loud by Michael Dunn. Evidently Mr. Dunn stood his ground as George Zimmerman did when Trayvon Martin went to buy Skittles. Evidently in Florida, Skittles and music deemed distasteful are threatening.

So I, too, am going to stand my ground and NOT go to Florida for Spring Break. I will spend my paltry Spring Break funds elsewhere. I won't be missed except, maybe, by our friends we would have visited. Though this is not a very effective response it is the only one that occurs to me. It is the only way I think I can follow my instincts even if it won't make much of a dent.

Just like I won't spend money at Chik-fil-A after the comments made by COO Dan Cathy about homosexuality. I absolutely refuse to pay for Papa John's Pizza after his support of Mitt Romney and scathing comments about how Obamacare would mean charging an extra 17 cents per pizza to implement. He is a very wealthy man. And evidently a very selfish one. Does that make a difference? Probably not. But like refusing to take a vacation in Florida, if enough people make a dent in the income of Papa John and the Florida Tourist Bureau then maybe they will consider ending the "Stand Your Ground" law. Maybe my missed vacation will be just that, a missed vacation. But my conscience won't suffer while I enjoy a different trip. And I will happily stand on my soapbox on my ground and know I did the right thing.

6 comments:

  1. Excellent! I have NEVER been a big Florida fan as it is…the south...the Stand Your Ground Law just killed any TINY BIT of curiosity I may have given in too, to visit this God forsaken place!

    In 1990, NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue threatened to move the 1993 Super Bowl out of Arizona if the state refused to create a holiday commemorating Martin Luther King Jr. Arizona voted down the holiday, and Tagliabue kept his word, relocating the game to Pasadena, Calif., and bringing the region a financial boom. The move was a financial and PR disaster for Arizona, which finally voted to recognize MLK Day in 1992. Well, this movement did not start with the NFL, it started with people like you and others like you who deciding not to spend their monies in AZ.

    So, you do make a difference! It starts with one, then two…

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, that is very impressive about the Superbowl, I had no idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is a petition going around now to keep the Super Bowl from going there next t year as scheduled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will certainly sign in. Unfortunately we seem to only be able to make a difference by hitting people in their pockets!

      Delete
  4. I am so touched by your writing and your efforts to effect change
    ...BRAVA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I am in good company and have wonderful support. I am surrounded by others who want to make a difference, too.

      Delete